L E Boomer
Alanson Boomer, farmer, Secs.
9 and 8; P.O. Watertown; born
L E Boomer
At the Government sale the land was bought in his brother’s L. E. Boomer’s name.
The land was all wild, but Mr. Wood, who had squatted on one of the sections and whom they bought out, had built one of the earliest log houses erected in the township, in which Mr. Boomer lived till 1841, when he went back to New York; from that time till 1845, it was in the hands of a tenant; then Mr. L. E. Boomer came West and took possession.
Indians used frequently to come to trade, but they had no trouble with them, never even had anything stolen, which Mr. Boomer attributes to keeping whiskey away from them and treating them as honorably as he would white men. At one time his brother anticipated trouble and wrote to the Governor, who sent arms to the settlers, but fortunately it proved a false alarm.
In 1849, Mr. L. E. Boomer built a dam and saw-mill, and made bricks as well as farming.
In January, 1858, Mr. Alanson Boomer bought his brother out after being East sixteen years. He built himself the handsomest farmhouse in the county, in 1861, and also erected all the barns and outbuildings; he now owns 350 acres of land, and raises principally wheat, oats, barley and corn, and makes a specialty of fattening stock, keeping about forty head constantly ready for the market. Married Miss Lydia Van Wormer, of Watertown Township, January 12, 1862; they had one little boy who died when 1 month old; he has since adopted two children, the first a boy [editor’s note: Mason], who was drowned when about 8 years old, and then a little girl named Alice, now living. He was Ward Supervisor two years.
Derived from: The History of Jefferson County, Wisconsin by C. W. Butterfield, 1879
06 30 Specimen of brick from the first kiln burnt at the new yard of L. E. Boomer, one mile below the village, on the east side of the river. Watertown Chronicle
Democratic State Register, 04 09 1850
We took occasion, a day or two since, to visit the saw mill of our fellow citizen, L. A. Boomer, Esq, a couple of miles below the village. Mr. B, has one of the finest powers on the river, so far as our observation extends. He has erected during the past winter a large double saw mill, which commenced sawing the past week—-and from the work performed while we were there, we are satisfied that there is no better establishment of its kind, in this part of the country. It is furnished with the latest improvements, and the lumber turned out is of superior quality. We think the location of the mill to be one which will be; a great convenience to the people of Watertown, and a source of profit to its enterprising proprietor. We wish him the success to which his energy and perseverance justly entitles him.
06 30 DROWNED. A man named Patrick Cullen, who has been working on the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad in this city, was drowned last evening about 8 o’clock attempting to cross the river at Boomer’s dam. WD
08 01 BUILDING. In various parts of our city new dwellings may be seen erected this summer. In the suburbs we notice that Mr. A. [Alanson] Boomer is building another of those fine and large brick residences which attract so much of the attention of visitors and strangers who get a passing glimpse of them. [Boomer built himself the handsomest farmhouse in the county, in 1861, and also erected all the barns and outbuildings; he now owns 350 acres of land, and raises principally wheat, oats, barley and corn, and makes a specialty of fattening stock. -The History of Jefferson County, Wisconsin by C. W. Butterfield, 1879.] WD
Jefferson County Union, 07 02 1897
Another old and well known resident, of Watertown, Alanson Boomer, has been called to his final abode. He died Friday morning at 4 o’clock. Mr. Boomer was 82 years of age and had been a resident of Wisconsin for sixty-one years. He had been ill since Thursday. He leaves two daughters, Mrs. Chas. A. Vanghan, of this place, and Mrs. M. Douglass, of Waterloo. The funeral was held Sunday afternoon at two o’clock. Services were conducted at the house by Rev. G. C. Weisa. Alanson Boomer, wife Lydia and son Mason are buried in Oak Hill Cemetery
05 29 STEAM BOAT ON ROCK RIVER
Messrs. Simon Molzahn, Charles Feisst and Andrew Roegner are the owners and officers of a neat little steam launch which has its moorings in Rock river, below Boomers dam. The boat is twenty-two feet in length, will accommodate a dozen persons, is fitted with an eight horse-power engine and is propelled by a steam wheel. It is of light draft and capable of developing a speed of eight miles an hour. The launch was given a trial trip to Hahn’s lake last week and it is proposed during the summer to make excursions down the river as far as Jefferson — a most delightful and picturesque trip. S. Molzahn is captain of the craft, Mr. Roegner chief engineer, and Mr. Feisst navigating officer. WR
Boomer Street named in honor of the Boomer clan