Youth Activity Center (YAC)
Located in former Norton Grocery Store, 200 W Main
The building originally on this site was a frame grocery store owned by Matthew Norton. It was moved behind the present building in about 1870 when the present structure was built by Silas Randall as an agricultural implements store. Later businesses in this location included E. W. Schultz, undertaker and furniture dealer, the Watertown School of Business, Baumann's Candy Kitchen, the Youth Activity Center (YAC), Tri-County Tobacco, Emil's Pizza, Pizza Junction, and presently Curves.
Nov. 24, 1964
At the regular meeting of the YAC council plans for the start of a new era at the Youth Activities Center were outlined. The YAC is under the direct supervision of the recreation department, and many changes in organization and program have been discussed in the past months. The new YAC will become more of a reality in the next four weeks, as the nomination and election of the first council members to work in the new organizational structure takes place. The teen council was previously appointed by the high school student council, but now will be elected by all members of the YAC. Nominations will be in the form of petitions, signed by 20 classmates of a teen interested in serving on the council.
Nov. 24, 1989
The Watertown Plan Commission Monday unanimously recommended against purchasing a building at South Third and Market streets for potential use as a youth activity center. Mayor David R. Lenz had asked the commission to review the feasibility of using the vacant building for a temporary youth center. Eventually, the building would be torn down and the property would have been converted into a parking lot. However, the commission members unanimously agreed that the building would not be suitable for a youth center and would be too costly for a parking lot. The building would have cost $30,000 to purchase.
History of Watertown, Wisconsin