Rev. Milo A. Loppnow
1914 - 2013
Right Rev. Milo A. Loppnow, 99, of Watertown, passed away Monday, Feb. 4, 2013, at Marquardt Memorial Manor.
Milo was born Jan. 13, 1914, on the family farm near St. Charles, Minn.; the son of William and Doretta (Penz) Loppnow. His formal education began in a one room country school. Milo attended high school in St. Charles and felt “called” to the ordained ministry of the Moravian Church. He was accepted as a student at Moravian College and Theological Seminary, Bethlehem, Pa. Milo’s first assignment consisted of two small congregations near Wisconsin Rapids. His next “call” was to Waconia, Minn., which coincided with the beginning of WWII. In addition to his regular pastoral duties, he taught high school, provided support for military families, and served as County Home Service Chairman for the American Red Cross. This required regular visits to the Japanese language school in Savage, Minn., to assure safe, humanitarian treatment of the Japanese prisoners of war.
At the conclusion of WWII, Milo returned to Wisconsin to serve the DeForest Moravian Church, establish a new church in East Madison (Lakeview Moravian Community Church), and after many years in Madison, briefly served as pastor of the Moravian Church in Lake Mills. During his years in these ministries, he and his beloved wife, Gertrude, established lifelong friendships.
Volunteer service to the community included serving as chairman of the Madison City Youth Commission, chairman of the Madison East YMCA Board of Directors, and member of the Board of the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra during the years when “Concerts on the Square” were established.
Focus on parish ministry changed to administration when he was elected president of the Western District of the Moravian Church. While president, he worked to facilitate the establishment of the Marquardt complex and the Mt. Morris church camp site at Wautoma. He served as a member of the Board of Trustees of Moravian College and Theological Seminary in Bethlehem, Pa.
In 1968, Milo was granted an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree by Moravian Theological Seminary. In 1970, he was elected a Bishop of the Moravian Church. In this role, he counseled and ordained both men and women as their training for ministry was completed. After leaving church administration, Milo’s life was devoted to the Marquardt Village as board member, chaplain, fundraiser, and resident. He frequently expressed enthusiastic praise for the staff at Marquardt. Milo treasured the friendships that he was fortunate to have in all phases of his life.
Survivors include three sons, Donald (Nancie) of Ypsilanti, Mich.; Bruce (Chris) of St. Charles, Minn.; and David (Deborah) of Madison; six grandchildren Sara, Stephen, Collin, Alison, Erica and Melanie; and three great-grandchildren, Dominic, Roman and Estelle. He is also survived by a number of nieces, nephews, other relatives and friends. He was preceded in death by his parents, his wife (Gertrude) and his three brothers and three sisters. Milo awaited his death in the spirit of thanks and celebration.
Memorials may be directed to the Marquardt Endowment Fund, the Moravian Church, Mt. Morris Retreat Center or a ministry of choice.
A memorial service will be held 11 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 16, at Watertown Moravian Church with the Rev. Barbara Berg officiating. Visitation will be held at the church on Saturday at 9:30 a.m. until the time of service. A light lunch will be served following the service. Burial will be in Ebenezer Moravian Church Cemetery.
Pederson-Nowatka Funeral Home is caring for the family. Online condolences may be made at www.PN-FH.com.
Pederson-Nowatka Funeral Home 213 S. Fifth St. Watertown
History of Watertown, Wisconsin